Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A very scary moment

Earlier this year , after returning from Europe  Miss S and i attended the Sydney quilt and craft show. At that time i was doing a lot of cross stitch work and was using Mag eyes, which seemed to amuse my family no end, i decided to buy a light with a magnifier , the light is great it works with or without AC power.  I had it sitting in my lounge room near my favourite spot on the lounge.

to my absolute horror we had a science experiment go terribly wrong. As i am a seeker of sun, and as the days got warmer i threw open my blinds to welcome the warmth, i was conscious of the lamp and what could happen with the sun, and had on multiple occasions ensured it was positioned low out of the sun, but for some reason around this time i left it positioned over the back of the lounge


and this is what happened



my beautiful three year old lounge damaged. Fortunately we have an absolutely amazing leather repair man here in Newcastle he took my cushion away.
He was shocked when he seen the cushion and said that probably one more good burst of sun on that magnifying glass and it would have probably caught fire.


My light now resides in My sewing room in the corner away from any source of Sun.
this was a very sobering experience, the thought that i could have lost everything, all my photos of my girls as they grew were just a metre and a half away. a lifetime of memories almost lost.


my lounge now looks almost perfect, 

so i guess just a bit of a warning to all you lovely gals, be careful of your magnifying light and the sun.



Ciao
Googy Girl


"life is like a cup of tea , it's all in how you make it"


8 comments:

Sonia said...

The repairs look great. Thankful you were lucky

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

A big phew! Thanks for the tip!

Susan said...

That is very scary - how lucky you were.

Cheryl (aka Kayly) said...

I actually cover my magnifier with a dense cloth, as well as having it away from light. It's amazing to see the effect of a powerful sun and a bit of glass. Thanks for the good post and its warning.

Jenny said...

Oh no that's awful. I wondered why the magnifier come with that little cover. Better go put it on. Thank goodness you could get the lounge fixed.

Janice said...

What a relief - a repaired lounge and no fire. Thanks for the warning.

Fiona@Dragonfly-Sewing said...

OMG! So lucky it was repairable and didn't catch on fire xx

Jo said...

Thanks so much for sharing your story, I have just purchased a lamp similar to yours and now i definitely will be making a cover for it. Its great you could get your lounge repaired.