Skip to main content

The end of an Era : Nundle 2017

On Thursday I loaded up the car and headed north as I have many times before, to the place where this blog first started in 2011, Nundle NSW. It was time for the 10th annual Girls day in the country


as I drove north I had the opportunity to see the beautiful country side as the sun went down at the end of the day. 


Friday seen us head out to the cottage on the hill, as we have done so many times before, then join together at the Peel Inn for lunch as we had done for the past several years. On Friday evening we all joined together at the camp kitchen of the Fossickers caravan park for dinner and a bit of show and tell. there was some gorgeous quilts to see and lots of inspiration abounded.



Saturday morning seen us all hovering outside the hall in the drizzling lane waiting for the doors to open, to what would be our last Girls day in the country, but we wouldn't know that for many hours to  come.

as we arrived at our tables we discovered asian steaming baskets



this lead to some intrigue as to exactly what the project was to be . . .had Kerry finally decided to teach us how to cook? . . . . LOL




However to our delight we soon discovered that the steaming baskets would soon be transformed into a gorgeous sewing basket. We each had received a circle cut from an antique double wedding ring quilt.  That piece of antique was so soft in my hands and I imagined all the love that had gone into making it , the years it had spent keeping people warm and feeling cherished. I wondered where my quilts would be in the future and would they feel so cherished.
The quilt was imperfect but that was the charm of the project, as we were to use the pieces of wool strategically placed to cover the imperfections.

by the ending of the day my sewing basket had been painted a beautiful French blue, we had a choice of three colours red blue or green,  it had a pincushion which Bonnie Sullivan, our wonderful tutor sat with us at our table and showed us how to create  and the embroidery on the antique quilt was well underway.

by three pm we all knew that this was the last time we would all be gathered here together, this was our last Girls day in the country.



despite the smiles there was a lot of sadness,
 although you could almost hear the wheels turning as we all considered how we could gather together somehow to continue our tradition of, for some, the last 10 years




that evening we gathered together for dinner and some of us continued to work on our projects, I was totally besotted and was starting to make subtle changes to make my basket my own.

early the next morning I sat with my hands warmed with my cup of tea and contemplated the past  8 years and the impact that GDITC had had on my life.

I now have friendships near and far that were germinated right there in Nundle, those friendships  mean the world to me. I have travelled throughout NSW to spend delightful hours with this wonderful group of girls.  I have made beautiful projects that were either commenced at Nundle, inspired by projects either seen in Nundle or by members of my GDITC sewing group.  That first trip to Nundle certainly had a huge impact on my life, and it has all been for the better.




as I packed my suitcase to leave my hand brushed over the little Jewellery case, designed by Anni Downs which was my first GDITC project and I thought to myself I will always have Nundle, there is little pieces of it scattered throughout my home and my memories are full of it's laughter and Joys.

as this door closes I look forward to what comes next

and I want to thank 


for starting GDITC and bringing together such a wonderful group of like minded souls


you truely are an inspiration
you brought us all together as we stitched away in our virtual sewing community
gathering as often as we cold in person.

it's been a wonderful journey

as the saying which we all diligently stitched on Saturday says

our souls are fed by needle and thread 
and that thread will bind us always


à plus tard
(see you later)

Googy Girl



Comments

Susan said…
You have captured the essence of Nundle beautifully. Very sad to see GDITC come to an end, but of course the friendships will continue. I agree that Chookyblue has brought so many of us to blogging and new friendships, and for that I will always be grateful. I remember meeting you at Nundle........at the bar of the pub!
Fiona said…
what a lovely post.... a special part of your life. I am sorry never to have managed to get to one....
Hugz
Jenny said…
That is a really lovely post Googy.
dearest Googy..........you are so sweet.....thankyou......how did I miss this post.......I too was pretty sad when I came home from Nundle......so many friends met and friendships nutured at GDITC and Nundle retreats........we will not lose contact....you can't get rid of me that easy........

Popular posts from this blog

Toorale homestead - Louth

We set off from Bourke  , we had stayed the night at Kidmans camp , which was a lovely spot and headed off south to start the Datling River run. For the first few hours we didn’t see any river as our first destination was  TooraleHomestead The drive in was pretty good , lots of dust and a little bit of corrigation but really quite good  We seen some wildlife including an eagle  Bit blurry as it was taken through the windscreen of the car ,  Some Emu’s and kangaroos  The homestead itself is closed to the public except during school holidays ,so we didn’t get to go in but , we knew before we arrived that was the case and I was keen to see it anyway. Sir Samuel McCaughey in partnership with his Brother John and cousin purchased Toorale, Nocoleche and Dunlop station. Acquiring 800 000 acres of land and 130 000 sheep and 80 horses.  Eventually Samuel bought his brother and cousin out. He built the homestead in 1896 as a wedding gift to his niece. The golden years for the homestead were betw

Scrappy chook quilt

So I have been keeping this one under wraps, not on purpose mainly just because I have been a very lazy blogger. A few months ago, as most of you know I had a visit to chookyblue's place, whilst there I had the pleasure to sleep under some of her gorgeous quilts. But one in particular took my fancy I just loved the scrappiness of this quilt, the lovely colours but mainly just the simple design. So when I headed up to Nundle for my retreat, I sent the lovely Kerry a photo and she assured me she could pull together some lovely fabrics and guide me, to put this lovely quilt together. When I arrived at Nundle This lovely bundle of fabrics awaited me The girls and I used the black and white feature on the iPad to determine light medium and dark fabrics I spent 3/4 of the first day creating these squares, I think I frustrated Miss Joolz because I just could not be random, I had to be organised I didn't want to get end and end up wit

Burren junction - Brewarinna

Beds on Barwon We left Newcastle at a reasonable time on Friday morning not gadgets ( my husband) usual 4am start and headed west.  We really never planned this trip out as such we vaguely decided that sitting by a river with a fire was our plan , a chance to take a deep breathe and slow down our lives for a bit. Almost 13 years ago we were extremely fortunate to do the darling river run with some wonderful friends and thought that we would love to repeat that trip and hopefully see the Darling river with water this time.  However at this stage our plans are a little up in the air with the road to Louth currently closed due to rain and some of the national parks closed for the same reason. Soo where are we heading , not sure but wherever we are heading it will be an adventure. So on day one we drove to Burren Junction where we spent our first night of our adventure at a truck stop  This is our new travelling Duo Reggie ( car) and Ruby ( van) we decided last year it was time to say good